Thursday, January 1, 2015

Welcome to D&P Woodworks!

It's the start of the new year and the beginning of my foray into self employment as a woodworker. This venture will start with a major shop overhaul next week. I expect it to take a couple of weeks at least and probably longer. There is a plan I drew up but I may have been too optimistic about enough storage for all the tools and sundries we already have in the shop. It will require a lot of purging and several tweaks to get it just right.

The rest of my plan involves building some cabinetry we need for the house. I will use it to showcase my work online and in other advertising venues. And of course we will still make our cutting boards and Peg will continue with her scroll saw creations.

Last night during our New Year's Eve celebrations I was discussing my plans with a friend who offhandedly commented that she had never seen my work. Say what? I was really taken aback by this as a t the time we were sitting at the very bar I built, and she has seen the numerous other projects we have done around the house. I wasn't sure if I should take it as a compliment or an insult and it left me a bit bewildered. Is it just that the things I have built blend so seamlessly into our home that she forgot they were my creations, or did she feel them unworthy of being salable? Perhaps it was just one too many glasses of champagne on both our parts.

While I admit I am not an expert woodworker by any means, I am confident I can hone my skills and continue to build and create beautiful projects. By this time next year I will know whether or not it will be new lifelong career. I am excited about getting started! 


No comments: