Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Things That Just Work?

We bought a Dyson DC25 Animal Ball vacuum cleaner. It wasn't just because of all the hype, I actually tried one in store and was pretty impressed. It does a fabulous job on floors and carpets and it will suck up a hairball from 2 feet away. This is important when you have 3 cats. But I have to ask myself is ANY vacuum cleaner really worth $700.00?

While I can't argue the power and ability of the Dyson, I will say that for all the "engineering" that went into making it, it came out rather cheap.

It's 100% plastic with the exception of the motor and some of the connections are pretty wimpy. The air intake for the dust collector is a rather flappy thin piece of rubber that basically just "rests" against the canister. Is this really an "air tight" connection?

The hose is way too short to use properly with the removable wand and while the ball does make it incredibly maneuverable, you won't get that head too far under anything.

I LIKE my new Dyson a lot. I am really glad it comes with a 5 year warranty, because frankly, I don't think it will last that long. We'll see how well that warranty is honoured. But I do think it is way over priced. Even at half the MSRP, I would be feeling a little uneasy about it.

No comments: