Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Shop Squeeze

There doesn't seem to be any more hours in the day this year then there were last year. Once again I find the week frittering away and no time to be in the shop. I have computers stacked 3 high at the moment, and running back and forth to the big city delivering and picking up computers consumes a lot of time.

The Router Raizer arrived on Monday and I got it installed in about 3 hours. The instructions said it should take 1 1/2 hours. There were a couple of places where I missed the fine print. I suggest anyone who wants to install one of these do two things. Set aside a couple of hours AND read the instructions through BEFORE you start the installation. There are a number of time saving tips that you won't get till it's too late unless you do this.

There were a couple of things I didn't like about the installation. There are a number of places you have to apply a thick grease that comes with the kit. And trust me you HAVE to apply it and liberally. They also recommend using STP motor oil on the plunge posts of the router. My issue with this is grease or oil and sawdust DON'T mix. I did the applications (not STP but something equally suitable) but I have a feeling I am going to regret it down the road. I can't impress enough though that you MUST do these applications or things will bind tighter then... well you can fill in the blank.

Once I got it installed and all my boo boos fixed I have to say I LOVE IT! It is absolute infinite control over the bit height. If you install it properly it works very smoothly. If you read the instructions through first, follow them to the T, they make clear sense and make the installation very simple.

Installing this device is making me reconsider giving that box joint bit a try again. I think part of the problem was trying to get it to the proper height. But we'll see. I have started a new "TO DO" list in the shop and it's getting longer every time I go out there. The problem is not enough time out there to do any of it.

No comments: