Monday, August 3, 2009

Shop Day Off

So I wasn't in the shop today but it was by no means a day off. The spouse has been wanting a new screen door for the front ever since switching out the winter glass for the summer screen last May. The air was a bit blue during this feat and I just stayed out of the way. While we were in Home Hardware today looking for some cedar cut offs we found a very nice screen door with a pull down window that has a roller screen built in. As a bonus it was on sale for $80.00 off the regular price of $315.00. So we toted that baby home in a hurry!

This AluminArt storm door is no slouch. It has a very thick heavy aluminium frame that we torture tested on the way home in the back of the Blazer. We had it propped on an angle hanging out the back window sitting on the spare tire. I was totally waiting to hear a loud SNAP as one of the windows cracked when the frame bent. But it got home in one piece without even a dent.

The spouse and I decided to put it up TOGETHER. This is never usually a good thing. The fact that it was the first time EITHER of us had hung a storm door didn't help. Of course mother nature lent a hand with gale force winds. There were moments I expected one of us to be lifted off the ground like a kite.

There is only ONE ABSOLUTE RULE for hanging a storm door. READ AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!

There are reasons you have to follow the steps in the required order. All I will say is DO NOT cut anything before it tells you to cut something! Despite our faux pas we managed to get it hung reasonably OK. The one piece of the top frame is insanely cock eyed, and I have NO idea why. Everything else is very square. The door itself sits flush and seals properly. It came with some very nice brushed nickle hardware for the handles and pneumatic door closers for both the top and the bottom of the door.

The instructions WERE CLEAR, I just thought I knew better and found out to late that once again I was WRONG. They are simple enough for a first timer to be able to complete the job within an hour and a half, but it does take two people. And opt for a day with no wind.

There will be some paint required around the frame now. I'll leave that up to the spouse. I got a new saw, the spouse got a new screen door. Everyone is happy.

No comments: