Thursday, June 4, 2009

When It All Pays Off

This week I have been "milling" the rough lumber I got and it has turned into a monumental task. The wood I thought was walnut is not but I am not really sure what it is. It has all the properties and looks like Ash so that's what I am assuming it is. It is a heavy as LEAD! Running the 2x8 inch 6 foot long planks through the planer by myself has used a few muscles I haven't seen in a while. It took most of the week to plane a total of 14 planks. This was still just a "rough" planing but at least now I can see what parts of the wood are actually usable.

The cherry wood turned out very nice and I will get to use most of it one way or another. Next week I will be cutting the planks into usable pieces then resawing and final planing to dimension. Hopefully after that I will actually get to make something.
The best part of this endeavour is that I finally can justify buying all those "BIG" power tools like the jointer, planer and band saw. None of this would be possible without them. I suppose I could spend the next year working at it with hand planes, but really, that's not very likely.
My objective is to try to keep what ever pieces I cut as long and as wide as possible. Some of the boards are knotty, checked, split, or water damaged and some even have a little rot. So it will be like working on a puzzle backwards to cut all the best pieces. All the resawing will be to a maximum of 1" thickness where possible. I expect to end up with a lot of 3/4 or 1/2 inch thick lumber when it's all said and done. Still, that will make some very nice wood to work with.
Everybody keeps suggesting I make a table. I don't need a table of any sort, so why would I make one? Maybe they think that's the limit of my skills. Maybe it is. But I still have no intention of making a table.

No comments: