Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The BIG Router


I finally managed to get the Hitachi M12 3 1/4 HP router. The price was right as I got it from The Tool Doctor for $179.00 plus taxes and shipping totalling about $245.00. Still cheaper then the 299.00 that Federated Tool wanted.

My plan for this router is to use it in the Oak Park table pretty much exclusively. I'll use the current Mastercraft 2 HP router that's in there now for the Oak Park base plates and jigs outside the table. My little Mastercraft 1 1/4 HP router will be used for "little" portable jobs as it only take 1/4" shank bits anyway.
I am still thinking of getting a trim router, but if I can get around it with the other 4 routers ( I also have the Mastercraft Serpentine Saw) that I now have I will hold off until I REALLY need it. Besides I think I have pushed the spouse to the router limits.
The spouse needed a bird house part fixed tonight which required a couple of holes cut with hole saws on the drill press. That is always a feat on that little drill press so it was good to have the spouse observe this while waiting patiently for the parts. Oh yes, if we ever get this contract settled at work that new radial drill press is now as good as MINE!
I got some beautiful rough cherry and walnut wood from our daughter-in-law's parent's barn. Very good sized 2x8 inch planks about 6 feet long. I have been planing and jointing them and will be resawing them one day soon when I can get the spouse to help me. I now understand why you pay a premium for pre milled lumber. It looks like I may lose up to 1/3 of the wood to just cleaning it up. But it was all free and well worth the effort and education on milling!

No comments: