Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Digital Organization

I knew it wouldn't be long before the spouse decided the new netbook should be a shared item. It seems it's ideal for creating collection databases of music, movies, recipes, addresses and whatever else that can be "digitally organized". I believe the quote was "It's so portable it's perfect for that!". Well okay, I can share. However finding software to accomplish all this was less then simple. My first suggestion was Microsoft Access. Unfortunately the spouse is not that tech savvy when it comes to software, and Access was just too complicated.

After a little net research and some trial and error testing I found a very simple and easy to use shareware program called AZZ Cardfile. It's a replacement program for Microsoft Cardfile and it fits the bill for all kinds of organizational items. They even offer downloads of premade databases for everything from Astrology to Italian Song Lyrics. (really... there IS such a database!)

The program can't be any simpler: create your file and add your items. Include as much or as little detail as you want. The spouse was ecstatic! Even I caught the fever and thought I should create a tool inventory database for the shop. Or woodworking magazine indexes. Or a hundred other things once I got thinking about it. If you are looking for a simple way to organize data you have to check out AZZ Cardfile. Once you get started there is no end to the possibilities. They even offer a FREE licence if you submit your database or blog/write a review about the program. Yes I am going to apply for the free license but I would have blogged about it anyway. I LOVE software that just works! And if it makes the spouse happy ...well that's even better!

No comments: