Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Wood Up

The "Shop" has been keeping me very busy. When I am not tuning up tools I am learning fundamentals of wood working mostly through trial and error. Today I got a new resaw blade for the band saw and have been slicing through planks of red and white oak and black walnut. I am also getting lots of use out of the jointer and planer with this raw wood.

I have to highly recommend R&D Bandsaws and their Tuff Tooth Blades. They have a great site, excellent prices and the quality of their band saw blades is exceptional. Shipping was incredibly fast and reasonable. Their Little Ripper resaw blade makes short work of hard woods with a smooth clean cut.

It seems I am still having problems getting wood square. I just haven't figured out what I am doing wrong yet. Obviously I am missing a key step somewhere.

Still I am thoroughly enjoying my new found hobby. There have been lots of additions to my tool collection. A couple of things I have yet to master would be planing and plane sharpening. There just don't seem to be enough hours in the day. And of course I do have to shut things down at a reasonable time as I am sure my neighbours do not appreciate the late night buzz of a table saw.

It's going to really suck when I actually have to go back to work 5 days a week. Unfortunately that's coming VERY soon.

No comments: