Thursday, October 23, 2008

FarCry 2 Hits The PC

It's launch day for FarCry 2 WOOT! I downloaded it on Steam and have been playing on and off all day. It's another great FPS of course but I am a little disappointed in the graphics. It's certainly is not Crysis. Actually it's very far from "realistic" but there is great scenery. My single 4870 is handling it like a charm. All the settings are at VERY HIGH and the fan is only at 35%. Maybe two cards was a waste of money anyway?

I found some rather disappointing information on the Twin Turbos. I could have plugged them directly into a molex plug instead of using the fan header on the video card. It seems the fan performs much better that way. I don't know for sure that it spins up at power on in that setup, and I am not about to fry my good card to find out. I may experiment with the dead card later on. It would be really sad if that was the case and this whole screw up could have been prevented. Hind sight is always 20/20.

I have to say that I am really thrilled that the one card is still working so flawlessly after all it's been through. I suppose if another 400.00 falls into my lap I might still opt for Crossfire, but I don't see that happening any time soon. And with the loonie taking a beating now, it might be a very long time before there are ANY more computer upgrades. I am glad I built my systems when I did.

The one thing I am SERIOUSLY considering is a GTX 280 for the spouse's computer. That of course does not impress the spouse. And it too will have to wait for a lottery win.

I have to get back to killing things for a bit before bed. I sleep so much better knowing the world is a safer place.

No comments: