Monday, September 29, 2008

Home Improvement 101

Today was somewhat unproductive as I managed to sleep till noon. The night shift really catches up with you eventually. I didn't really get mobile till about 2:00 p.m. so I didn't want to get into anything too taxing on the "to do" list.

This evening I decided to get the EVGA system under the spouses desk at least, but of course I couldn't just MOVE it, I had to rebuild it first. The heat issues were still bothering be so I swapped out the OCZ Vanquisher for the Thermalright Ultra 120 and the Panaflo fan. That of course meant ripping apart the entire computer. I must be getting good at it because it didn't really seem to take that long. I also reversed the fans AGAIN so now there is intake on the front and side panel and 2 exhaust fans on the rear and one in the top of the case.

The MCP temps on that board just continues to be the thorn in my side. It's still 51C at idle even with all the new airflow. I did install a 60 x 25mm fan in a pull formation on the MCP heat fins but those warm video cards right underneath it blowing hot air up at it just don't help. But it is working and I can live with it. The spouse doesn't do any heavy gaming so it shouldn't be an issue. I bought one of those Antec Spot Fans and if it continues to be a problem I will try that on it.

I also bought one of the Monster Gecko Pistol mice because it was on sale for 7.99 and looked like a fun novelty. And that's all it will ever be. It's not easy to use, the trigger and secondary mouse buttons are not responsive enough and unless you have LARGE hands (which I thought I did until I tried this) you are going to die in any FPS you use this in. If you want one of these, buy it ONLY if it's on sale for under 10.00 or you will be regretting the waste of money. It will make a fun desk ornament for me.

I was playing Crysis Warhead for a bit today, and I noticed that I am not so much "playing" anymore as monitoring game performance and waiting for "crashes". That really takes the fun out of games and hopefully I have things under control again and can get back to just enjoying a game. Speaking of which, I think I'll go do that.

No comments: