Monday, August 11, 2008

A Much Needed Break

It was nice to get back to work if just to get out of the house and away from the computer mayhem for a couple of days. The last straw was on Friday when a heatsink fell off one of my 8800GTS video cards. A friend happened to be coming from the next city so I asked her to pick me up some Fujik Thermal Glue as the town I live in does not have a decent computer parts store. She got me the $20.00 tube no problem, but when I opened the package the tube was hard as a rock and all the glue was dried out. It was too late to return it and that particular store is closed till tomorrow. It was a that point I threw my hands into the air and GAVE UP!
I managed to get some 2 part thermal epoxy on the weekend so I am giving that a try today. I am also trying to reformat my old computer to give to my sister but it's giving me headaches as well. That ASUS K8V SE board will NOT work without RAID drivers for some stupid reason even though I am not using RAID. The only way I can install the driver is with a FLOPPY drive, that I of course no longer have. So I am just going to delete everything on it and give it to her that way.
In the meantime I am waiting for the epoxy to dry a little before I try the EVGA board again. I managed to get it all into my old case but I am going to have to do some serious modifications for air flow.
I doubt I will get to the water cooling setup this week. There are some ideas I have for cooling the GPU's as well but I need to do a lot more research.

No comments: